Inspired by Raww Le Klueze quote:
"You might want to consider working off the PAL version.[...] If for no other reason than to see how they fixed it so the NTSC version can be brought up to that standard."
I thought - why don't we just hack PAL version to use US save data instead? We can use back our save data and still enjoy the fixes on PAL versions.
So this is it! A PPF patch to allow PAL-E Suikoden 2 to:
- load / use back your existing US Suikoden 2 save.
- load / convert your US Suikoden 1 save.
v0.1.1 - https://sites.google.com/site/rufaswan/S2-PAL-US-v0.1.1.zip
v0.1.0 - https://sites.google.com/site/rufaswan/s2-pal-us.zip
What is fixed in PAL:
- McDohl glitch
The S1 Hero name is transferred properly. No more TcDohl for US players.
- Toran Castle glitch
The same McDohl glitch for your S1 castle name. It is also fixed.
- Annalee's Song glitch
When you recruit Annalee, she will ACTUALLY sing a song for you. You can hear it.
- War music glitch
In US version, some of the major battles the music will disappear. It's fixed.
- Various script fix
That includes the trade tips, the enemy names at Tenzan Pass...
- and others. (need confirmation)
How to apply the patch:
1. First you'll need to find a copy of PAL-E version Suikoden 2.
(Please don't ask me where to get it. My only reply is "try Amazon.com,
eBay.com, or Google.com to order a copy!")
2. Now you'll rip it into bin file. Just Google "how to rip a PSX CD into
an ISO/BIN" can give you a bunch of tutorials to follow.
3. Copy the "S2-PAL-US.ppf" to the same folder with the BIN file.
4. Download "PPF-O-Matic" from here http://www.romhacking.net/utils/356/
5. Extract and run "ppf-o-matic3.exe".
6. For "ISO File", browse to the BIN you just created.
For "Patch", use "S2-PAL-US.ppf".
7. Click on "Apply" and wait for it to finish.
8. Now your BIN is patched. You can either burn it to a CD and play on a
real PlayStation, or you can run your favorite psx emulator and play on
FYI, for some reasons if you want your original BIN back, just repeat step
5 to 7 with the option "Apply Undo-Patch-Data" ticked.
- Play it on a real PlayStation. (Comes with US license. In theory, it should work.)
- Convert to eBoot and play it on PSP.
- Save data transfer to US Suikoden 3 (The saves are in US IDs. In theory, they should work also.)
- for other bits and tidbits I didn't noticed.
With the success above, I tried to patch the real US version. However, the result is terrible. The resulting patch is over 400MB, which is as big as the ISO itself!
Unwilling to give up, I tried import the file directly to the ISO instead. Nope, cannot import because PAL files are bigger. Tried again with brutal force, edit the ISO's table of content, import again, but end up...
r3000: executed illegal opcode 011f3030
r3000: executed illegal opcode ffd900ff
r3000: executed illegal opcode 64024818
r3000: executed illegal opcode ffd30118
r3000: executed illegal opcode 78004830
translate_address: illegal physical address 040966d0
... and a black screen.
Sorry US folks, I can't help you there. You'll have to find a copy of PAL version and patch it.